YOUR CART 0 items - $0.00
Roll over image to enlarge (scroll to zoom)

Confederate General David Emanuel Twiggs

Item CON-10207
Price: $135.00


Major-General David Emanuel Twiggs was born in Richmond
county, GA, in 1790. His father, Gen. John Twiggs, was a
soldier of the revolution.

In the war of 1812, young David E. Twiggs, then twenty-two
years of age, volunteered, and on March 8th was appointed
captain of the Eighth infantry. He soon showed such marked
ability that he was appointed major in the United States army.

He distinguished himself in the Black Hawk war, and served in
the Seminole war under Generals Jackson and Gaines. In 1836
he was commissioned colonel of the Second regiment of
dragoons, which under his admirable training became the best
cavalry regiment in the army.

He was colonel of this regiment at the commencement of the
Mexican war, and was with General Taylor's army of occupation
which marched into the disputed territory. When Taylor moved
to the Rio Grande, Colonel Twiggs was in the advance and
captured Point Isabel.

For gallant and meritorious conduct at Palo Alto and Resaca de
la Palma he was brevetted brigadier-general. At Monterey he
was put in command of a division. After the capture of that
city he was put in command of it, and remained there until
ordered to join General Scott at Vera Cruz.

This he hastened to do, reaching the army before that city in
time to share in the attack, and to win new laurels. He led
the main attack at Cerro Gordo, was distinguished again at
Contreras, and led one of the columns in the final assault
upon the city of the Montezumas.

After the war with Mexico, Congress gave him a magnificent
sword with jeweled hilt and a scabbard of solid gold. He was
presented another beautiful sword by the Georgia legislature,
and yet another by the city of Augusta. His subsequent
service was in command of the department of the West, with
headquarters at St. Louis until 1857, and then in charge of
the department of Texas, with headquarters at San Antonio.

In 1861, holding the rank of brevet major-general, he was the
second officer of the army in seniority, and in case of the
death or disability of General Scott, would have been the
ranking officer. But upon the secession of Georgia he
resigned his commission, and decided to share the fortunes of
his native State.

He was immediately appointed major-general in the Confederate
States army, his commission bearing date May 22, 1861. He
commanded at New Orleans during the first part of the war, but
was soon compelled to resign on account of age and infirmity.

When he left New Orleans he gave his beautiful swords into the
keeping of a lady of that city, from whom General Butler, when
he took command of the city, seized them, and turned them over
to the United States government. They were for years on
exhibition in the treasury at Washington, but in 1889 were
returned to the Twiggs family.

General Twiggs died at Augusta GA, September 15, 1862.

Source: Confederate Military History, vol. VII, p. 448