YOUR CART 0 items - $0.00
Roll over image to enlarge (scroll to zoom)

Confederate General Evander Mciver Law

Item CON-10210
Price: $500.00


Major-General Evander McIver Law was born at Darlington, SC,
in 1836; was graduated at the military academy in Charleston
in 1856; for three years he was a professor in a military
school at Yorkville, and in 1860 removed to Macon County,
Ala., where he taught school while studying law.

On the 11th of January Alabama seceded, and shortly afterward
he took a company of State troops to Pensacola, Fla., where he
remained two months. Entering the Confederate service as
captain he was elected lieutenant-colonel of the Fourth
Alabama, one of the commands greatly distinguished in the
first battle of Manassas, where Law was severely wounded.

In October, 1861, he was elected colonel of this regiment and
commissioned on the 28th of the month. He led this regiment
at Seven Pines, and at the battle of Gaines' Mill commanded
Whiting's old brigade, consisting of the Second and Eleventh
Mississippi, the Fourth Alabama and the Sixth North Carolina.

This brigade, in company with Hood's of the same division,
made the first break in the Union lines on that day of triumph
for the Confederates. He had the same command through the
rest of the Seven Days' battles, including Malvern Hill, also
at Second Manassas and at Sharpsburg.

On October 3, 1862, he received his commission as brigadier-
general. In January, 1863, his brigade was reorganized and
was henceforth composed of the Fourth, Fifteenth, Forty-
fourth, Forty seventh and Forty-eighth Alabama regiments.

Early on the second day of the battle at Gettysburg, when
General Hood was wounded, General Law took command of the
division in the famous assault on the Federal position on
Round Top, a movement which he protested against before it was
ordered, but carried out with a skillful handling of his
valiant men, who lost 2,000 of their number.

On the third day his prompt dispositions defeated the flank
attack of Federal cavalry.

At Chickamauga Hood was again wounded, losing a leg, and again
the command of the division fell upon Law, who led it with
such intrepidity that General Longstreet sent a note
expressing his admiration and satisfaction.

At the Wilderness Law again commanded his brave Alabamians,
also at Spottsylvania and on the North Anna. At Second Cold
Harbor, in charge of his own and Anderson's brigades, he was
ordered to reinforce the line on the right, leaving it to his
judgment to select a position.

He planted his force where Kershaw's line had been bent back
on June 1st, and, intrenching during the night there,
sustained a determined attack on June 3rd, which resulted in
the terrible slaughter of the Federal forces in his front, the
Federal Eighteenth corps reporting a loss of over 3,000 . In
this fight General Law was severely wounded.

He did not return to his brigade, being relieved at his own
request, desiring cavalry service. On the approach of
Sherman's army he was assigned to command at Columbia, S. C.,
and in February took command of Butler's brigade of cavalry.

He was actively engaged in the attack on Kilpatrick's camp,
served on the staff of Gen. Joseph E. Johnston at Bentonville,
and then resumed command of Butler's cavalry. He was promoted
to major-general, just before the surrender, on the
recommendation of Generals Johnston and Hampton.

After the war he resided in South Carolina and became
connected with railroad enterprises. Of recent years he has
been at the head of a military college at Barton, Fla.

Source: Confederate Military History, vol. VIII, p. 422